Having children is what every married couple wants. But what can you do if the pregnancy cannot last or what is usually called miscarriage? Know what the causes are and what to do to avoid it.
What is miscarriage?
Miscarriage is pregnancy discontinuation under 20 weeks old. At that time a fetus is weighed around 500 grams. Miscarriage is tending to be sporadic or known as continuous miscarriage. Sporadic miscarriage doesn’t have any patterns and mostly is caused by chromosome abnormality, either from the egg or sperm cells.
What causes miscarriage?
Besides chromosome abnormality, there are other factors that allegedly could be the causes of miscarriage, such as:
- Autoimmune Disorder, a systemic lupuserythematosus (SLE) disorder and also antiphospolipid antibody (APLAs).
- Anatomy abnormality, usually caused by uterus or cervical abnormality.
- Infections, there are a few viruses that could cause miscarriage such as chlamydia trachomatis and nesseiria gonorrhea.
- Environment and lifestyle.
Keep a healthy lifestyle.
Miscarriage can also be caused by lifestyle. Women that smoke, consume alcohol, obese or with weight under average, could get hormonal problems that could lead into miscarriage. There is no accurate research about stress leading to miscarriage yet.
Do not worry and there is no need to decrease your work time either, because there is no data yet about working all day could cause miscarriage.
What are the types of miscarriages?
When a woman miscarries there are a few levels and actions that are all determined by doctors. The types are:
- Complete abortion, where all conceptions come out. The signs are, the embryo is shaped like a fetus and comes off from the uterine wall. Usually happens in the beginning of pregnancy when the placenta is not formed yet. The fetus will come by itself from the uterus, either spontaneous or with tools. In this type of abortion usually there is no actions done. Meanwhile if the patient comes bleeding and the rest of the tissues are still visible, then a curette will be done.
- Incomplete abortion, the signs are some of the embryo come off from the uterine walls already and some tissues are in the cervical. For this case, if there is any continuous bleeding embryo / fetus has to be taken out.
- Inspient abortion, most of the tissues come down and already in the cervical, but the whole embryo is still in the uterus. In this case, the possibility to keep the pregnancy is very small.
- Imminent abortion, the signs are some of the embryo come off or there is bleeding behind the embryo. Because embryo is behind the uterus, it could still be saved and survive.
Signs of miscarriage
Usually before miscarriage happens, there will be a few signs. What are they?
Bleeding. The most common sign of miscarriage, could only be little spots that last for a while to bleeding.
- Cramps, like the ones you get in period. Usually the cramps happen a few times for a while.
- Pain in the lower abdomen. The pain is usually quite bothersome and for quite a while. Unremitting pain in lower pelvis, groin and genital area. This usually happens a few hours or even a few days after the bleeding signs.
When is the right time to get pregnant again after a miscarriage?
There is no reason to delay pregnancy, you can get pregnant anytime. Unless there are emotional problems such as miscarriage trauma, or another physical problems such as diabetes or thyroid. If your miscarriage is caused by infections (ex: toxoplasma) then your body needs time to form antibody during 6-8 weeks.
A lot of women get worried after miscarriage. Do not worry, for you who have miscarried before, then your chance to have children of your own is still high. The chance of another miscarriage is only 15%. So there is no special medication necessary. But for women who have miscarried two times until 3 times in a row, the chance of another miscarriage is bigger. For those who experience that, the doctor will take further examination to know what the cause is or the causes are. There might be a genetic disorder such as APS syndrome or thrombophilia.
Keep up a good lifestyle to avoid miscarriage.