Tips to Keep Anemia Away for Pregnant Women
At the first trimester of pregnancy, a lot of red blood cells are used for the fetal development so for you who has an anemia history will increase more than the other pregnant women. In Indonesia seven out of ten pregnant women experience anemia, either from before pregnancy or from the pregnancy itself. The increase happens at the second trimester of pregnancy, one of them is because of unbalanced eating pattern at the first trimester which is caused by health issues such as denial of food intake because of the decrease of appetite, nausea and morning sickness. Whereas at the beginning of pregnancy iron is needed two times than usual, the lack of nutrition is a considered factor. The amounts of calories, protein, fat, vitamin and mineral have to be fulfilled. Besides for you who are experiencing repeated pregnancy in a short period of time have high risk of anemia, this happens because the reserved iron is used again before you recover from the past pregnancy. Teenage pregnancies have high risks also and in pressured conditions (stress) before and during pregnancy.
In general anemia will be considered normal if you only experience the light symptoms. Some women worry they might experience severe anemia caused by lack of iron or certain types of vitamins. The symptoms of anemia that might be experienced by pregnant women are loss of appetite which affects loss of stamina, you would be more susceptible to infection, feeling dizzy in a sudden and some body parts like nails, face, eyelids and lips look pale. A severe condition of anemia might cause shortness of breath and weak heart. Anemia causes decrease of body endurance which is caused by the iron that keeps on decreasing takes effect on white blood cells so that the power to fight microorganisms diminishes. For you who work at the office the symptoms experienced is the lack of focus. Anemia is really dangerous if left in pregnant women. The risk of premature babies, miscarriages, birth defects and so on. So that not only the health of the baby is threatened but your health is also. For you who actively works everyday it is recommended to watch out your nutrition intake during pregnancy.
Here are some ways you can take during pregnancy to keep away from anemia :
- Increase food consumption that helps you to overcome anemia, which contains iron such as red meat, poultry and fish. Vegetables with dark green leaves, nuts and eggs.
- Vitamin c consumption helps the absorption of iron such as fruits, oranges, strawberries, kiwis, and tomatoes.
- Choose foods that contain high folic acid such as green vegetables, breads, cereals, dry nuts, and salmon.
- Milk will help ease the anemia symptoms. Drink milk regularly on days and nights.
- Consult to your doctor if you experience severe anemia so that you will be recommended to consume iron/ folic supplements or vitamins.
- Blood test is one of the ways to know how far your hemoglobin contents decreases in your body, there is also hematocrit examination to know the percentage of red blood cells to the taken sample. So that your doctor will know the causes of your anemia.